Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pink Sunset and Pink Wine

I'm in Santa Fe, New Mexico and I'm drunk.

I spent the day exploring by myself, taking pictures of everything and writing in my journal. I had planned on posting a blog about the magic of this place, the beauty, the food...  I wrote it all out in my moleskine at the coffee shop and now, here I am, throwing it out the window and rambling on.  It's not even that late, the room smells like garlic (from my attempt at curing a cold by chewing a raw clove) and I'm drunk-blogging for the first time ever...

But it has been a magical night.  I'm here with my oldest and dearest friend Raji, and her wonderful dog Wailer.  A few years back Raji lived with me in the Lower Haight for a semester during college and we had a tradition of sitting in our backyard and philosophizing over a few bottles of cheap, pink wine, as we lovingly call it.  

We paid homage to that tradition tonight and sat in her cozy back deck in the warm Santa Fe night drinking and taking turns playing the guitar.  We talked about life, friends, childhood, the future, our love lives, having babies, dealing with ex's, women in the film industry, African dance and health care reform.  Yes, we are crazy. We've known each other since we were five years old and there is something special about being able to share your history with someone you love and respect.  We know each other inside and out.

Country girls at heart, we wailed out bluegrass tunes on the peacock guitar and tried to harmonize between sips of cheap wine as Wailer snoozed below us. Everything washes away, this is one of those moments where everything just feels right and charged with emotion and beauty. This is my life and I love it.

During the day, the sky here is a brilliant blue sprinkled with glowing scoops of fluffy cream.  At night it's full of stars.  The air is hot and prickly and the food is rich and spicy.  My heart aches for my city and my friends but the mischievous voice who whispered to me in the night and lured me away has stolen my affection.  My gypsy blood has been stirred and I'm compelled to stay in motion.  This is the first leg of my journey. Soon I'll be back in California, 

"Oh California I'm comin' home, make me feel good rock and roll band, I'm your biggest fan, California I'm comin' home [...] I am on a lonely road and I am travelling... looking for something what can it be?" -Joni Mitchell.

Heading south.  Nothing and everything awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment